It’s taken me quite some time to get this pattern just right but I’ve persevered! I love how well this beanie fits and stretches.
Scroll down for the free pattern and video tutorial
You can get the printable version of this pattern for $1.99 HERE.
Color Block Beanie
A Crochet Pattern by Picot Pals
9” (22.86 cm) x 11.5” (29.21cm) after folding.
15 rows x 15 stitches = 4” (10 cm) x 4” (10 cm)
For the Denim In Color yarn = 100 – 110 yd (91.4 – 100.6 m)
For the Soft And Sleek yarn = 120 – 130 yd (109.7 – 118.9 m)
- 5 mm crochet hook
- Yarn Bee Denim In Color yarn in the shade Stonewash
- Yarn Bee Soft & Sleek yarn in the shade Light Gray
- tapestry needle
Abbreviations (US terms)
BLO – back loop only
ch – chain
sc – back loop only single crochet sl st – back loop only slip stitch
st – stitch
Yo – yarn over
yo sc – yarn over single crochet yo sl st – yarn over slip stitch
• yarn over single crochet (yo sc)
– yo, insert hook, yo, pull up a loop, yarn over, pull through all loops on hook
• yarn over slip stitch (yo sl st)
– yo, insert hook, yo, pull through all loops on hook
• Both yarns used are medium weight.
• Ch 1 tightly and turn at the end of each row. • Ch 1 does not count as a stitch.
• Every stitch is worked in the BLO.
(with light gray) ch 46, skip first ch from hook
Row 1: 5 sl st, 18 yo sc, (switch to stonewash) 7 yo sc, 15 sc (45)
Row 2: 15 sl st, 7 yo sl st, (switch to light gray) 18 yo sl st, 5 sl st (45)
Row 3: 5 sl st, 18 yo sl st, (switch to stonewash) 7 yo sl st, 15 sl st (45)
Row 4: 15 sl st, 7 yo sl st, (switch to light gray) 18 yo sl st, 5 sl st (45)
Rows 5-76: repeat rows 1-4 18 more times
- Stitch both ends of the hat together.
- Sew a running stitch across the top of the hat. Each stitch should be about 1 inch (2.54 cm) across.
- Pull tightly (like a drawstring).
- Turn the hat so the right side is facing you.
- Attach the pom pom.
- Weave in any loose ends.
Thanks so much for all of your kind words and helpful pointers on my last hat pattern.