I was inspired by this set of cards from Kiyomi Designs & Collections to make my own cute and pudgy snowman. I just love this entire set! Especially that little Christmas tree in the background.
crochet pattern by Picot Pals
3 inches (7.62 cm) x 4 inches (10.16 cm)
- 3.25 mm crochet hook (I used this hook)
- Vanna’s Choice worsted weight yarn in white
- dk weight cotton yarn in light blue and dark blue
- tapestry needle
- Polyester filling
- 6 mm safety eyes
- red felt scrap
- red thread
- black thread
- sewing needle
Skills needed (click to see a tutorial on each skill)
No gauge swatch is necessary for this project. You can make the snowman smaller or larger by increasing or decreasing the yarn weight or hook size.
Abbreviations (U.S. terms)
- ch – chain
- BLO sc – back loop only single crochet
- hdc – half double crochet
- inc – increase
- dec – invisible decrease
- mc – magic circle
- sc – single crochet
- sl st – slip stitch
- This pattern is worked in an oval. You will be crocheting around both sides of the starting chain.
- Join rows with a slip stitch at the end when working on the snowman.
- Insert Safety eyes between rows 4 and 5, keep them 5 stitches apart.
- The hat is worked in continuous rounds.
- The scarf is worked flat.
Snowman (with white)
Row 1: ch 6, skip first ch, inc, 3 sc, 3 sc in next st, 3 sc, sc inc the first sc of the round. (12)
Row 2: *inc, sc* 6 times (18)
Row 3: *inc, 2 sc* 6 times (24)
Rows 4-8: sc around (24)
Row 9: *inc, 3 sc* 6 times (30)
Rows 10-17: sc around (30)
Row 18: *dec, 3 sc* 6 times (24)
Row 19: sc around (24)
Row 20: In BLO *dec, 2 sc* 6 times (18)
start to stuff
Row 21: *dec, sc* 6 times (12)
Row 22: dec around (6)
Beret (with dark blue)
Row 1: 6 sc (6)
Row 2: inc around (12)
Row 3: *sc, inc* 6 times (18)
Row 4: *2 sc, inc* 6 times (24)
Row 5: BLO sc around (24)
Beret Pom Pom (with light blue)
Row 1: 3 sc in mc (3)
Finish off. Weave through stitches, pull tightly.
Scarf (with dark blue)
Row 1: ch 42, skip first two chains, 40 hdc (40)
Row 2: ch 2, turn, 40 hdc (40)
- Cut a 6 mm circle from red felt. Stitch the circle in the third stitch between the safety eyes.
- Attach the beret at an angle.
- Stitch the scarf into place.
- Stitch a smile underneath the nose.
My Pattern Policy
This pattern is for personal use only. You may use the pattern to make unlimited items for yourself, for charity, or to give as gifts. You may sell items you personally make by hand from this pattern. Do not distribute this pattern including but not limited to scanning, photocopying, emailing, or posting on a website or internet discussion group.
Thanks so much for your cooperation and support!
Let me know if you run into any difficulty with this pattern in the comments section below.
You can find more of my free holiday crochet patterns & craft tutorials by typing Christmas into the search bar on my site.
This post contains affiliate links.